SERVALYT™ Carrier Ampholytes
SERVALYT™ Carrier Ampholytes are low molecular weight molecules of zwitterionic character. They are a mixture of synthetically derived species of average molecular weight distribution of 400 to 1000 dalton and comprise a multitude of varying pI-values. In agarose and polyacrylamide gels containing ampholytes, a linear pH gradient will be built up when an electric field is applied - the ampholyte molecules »carry« a net charge and thus migrate in the electric field between the electrodes as long as they will reach the position of corresponding pI. They will stop moving then and form small plateaus (stationary stacks).
- high resolution due to multimeric composition
- fast staining and destaining times
- clear background associated with very low unspecific binding of dyes and stains
- high solubility in trichloroacetic acid (fast removal of ampholytes during fixation)
- virtually no interaction with metal ions